Sunday, October 24, 2010

Running Rewards

I'm still not 100% after this respiratory infection and that is playing havoc with my training. I really had to push myself to get out today. Then, it started raining as I was getting ready to leave. I powered on and the rain didn't get too heavy until later in the run.

I ended up taking a different route than usual, and that lead to a domino effect of decisions about the route that lead to my reward. I changed my mind about how far north I was going to go when the rain got harder. I changed my mind about what street to run back on at the last second, even having to backtrack a couple of steps. And, then, a few blocks down that street, I could see someone walking a dog about a block ahead of me. There was no question it was a Cairn Terrier puppy. That bumped up my pace as I wanted to be sure to catch up before they took a turn. The owner was friendly and understanding about this complete stranger who wanted to pet his dog. I explained that I had had two Cairns, and he was more than happy to let me meet his four month old puppy. The puppy was thrilled to make a new friend and, in true Cairn form, was jumping up and licking me in no time. What a treat on a dreary, rainy day.

Love to Rip and Harper.

No comments:

Post a Comment