Monday, April 30, 2012

New Shoes

When I decided to start running, I knew I wanted to be smart about training, equipment, etc. in order to not get hurt. So, one of the first things I did was go to Fleet Feet to get some running shoes. They put me in the Saucony Omni 8, which worked great. I've had a couple of pairs of those, as well as a pair of the Under Armour Charge RC. Everything was humming along fairly smoothly until I started doing more mileage. (Ok, for me that meant more than 2-3 miles at a shot, but it's all relative, right?) My left foot would get tingly and numb after a while. It would dissipate when I would walk for a bit, but it was quite annoying, and I knew it was a sign that something was amiss.

After seeking lots of advice, it seems like my wide feet are the likely culprit, so the first step in trying to solve this problem is new shoes. I put the good folks at Fleet Feet to work again on Saturday and tried on several options, but the ones I liked best overall were the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12. I knew better than to have my first run in them be Sunday's race, and I can't wait to try them out in training this week. [Update: So far, so good. Did intervals at the track and my feet felt fine. Next test will be this weekend's long run.]

Here they are. Hooray to Brooks for making their shoes in wide widths!

No comments:

Post a Comment